After living for a year in Ucluelet, on Vancouver Island's rugged outer shore, we decided to fulfill another dream and move to the downtown area of Vancouver. These are the adventures, in words and images, of a couple of retirees now based in Lower Lonsdale.

Check my main photography website, or follow me on my Facebook page.

Click on pictures to view at full size.

Thursday 18 September 2014

One Camera, One Lens, One View

Our walk this morning took us west along 3rd, then wove down to pick up the Spirit Trail, which, unfortunately, is still closed off, so we then headed back along Esplanade, past the dry docks. At one point, I looked out across the inlet to see an anachronistic image of a paddle-wheeler moving past a moored freighter.

While I almost always venture forth with two camera bodies, today, I just took one, with my small, but superb Voigtländer 90mm lens. This beautiful piece of glass gives me a 35mm equivalent of 135mm, but when shot wide open, with a fast aperture of f3.5, it yields a beautiful bokeh (a Japanese word that describes the quality of the out-of-focus area in an image).

We ambled along to Waterfront Park, and then noticed the entrance to Chiba Gardens, a small, but lovely enclave tucked into the area adjacent to the park's west entrance.

On the stairs leading to the railway overpass, I was able to point my lens through the chain-link fence to capture this view of the rail sidings. I love trains and the geometry of railway lines and I plan to walk further west on 3rd to get a few views of the more elaborate rail yard there.

Walking back home, looking through the park to downtown, I am struck by what a beautiful city Vancouver is, and what a great place to live, view and visit it, is North Vancouver! We are so pleased to be living here now.

Lower Lonsdale is a constant surprise in that right in among the residential and commercial, we find garden plots that are simply a feast for the eye. I never tire of detouring through these vegetable patches to see what's blooming.

 

 

Even the compost bin yields a fantastic palette of varied colours and textures that could hardly be called waste!

In one corner, we skirted a langarous Triffid, its deadly head drooping in repose. Luckily it had evidently eaten recently and was uninterested in our presence.

Peonies proliferate like miniature stellar explosions of colour and texture.

 

The diversity of views, activities and people is what we had hoped for here, and we've been richly rewarded.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment