After living for a year in Ucluelet, on Vancouver Island's rugged outer shore, we decided to fulfill another dream and move to the downtown area of Vancouver. These are the adventures, in words and images, of a couple of retirees now based in Lower Lonsdale.

Check my main photography website, or follow me on my Facebook page.

Click on pictures to view at full size.

Sunday 21 September 2014

Gettin' Around

Friday evening, the Shipyards Night Market was held again, an event that always draws me out. A sky just made for taking pictures precided over all, and so naturally, Dear Reader, I followed the programme and took shameless advantage of it!

As the band played on, I roamed the area, looking for interesting images.

 

 

 

Out on the pier, I spied a curious seal surfacing to check out the humans, his stiff eyebrows catching the late afternoon sunlight. He watched for a moment or two and then slowly sank beneath the surface, leaving only a few ripples to mark his passage.

 

Further out, a freighter sat at anchor, framed by the downtown skyline, and above, a weighty sky hung, catching the sun's colour, while small patches of blue struggled through shifting rents.

 

Looking back, a glimpse of the surrounding mountains emerged through the low-lying clouds, the wind turbine prominent in the oblique light. I find this layered effect just magical, and it's one of the lovely bonuses of living near the mountains.

 

As I walked back along the pier, I noticed a heron perched on the pilings, his sinuous silhouette overlaying the reflections.

As I watched, he spread his wings and flapped off over water that looked like a river of molten gold.

 

Saturday morning, I boarded the SeaBus and spent a couple of leisurely hours wandering around downtown, enjoying the clear skies and warmth.

 

 

A wonderful couple of days, life here is just so full of colour, form and drama.

Keep calm and chive on!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment