After living for a year in Ucluelet, on Vancouver Island's rugged outer shore, we decided to fulfill another dream and move to the downtown area of Vancouver. These are the adventures, in words and images, of a couple of retirees now based in Lower Lonsdale.

Check my main photography website, or follow me on my Facebook page.

Click on pictures to view at full size.

Sunday 23 November 2014

Return to the Valley

Yesterday, I returned to Lynn Valley to check out some of the Lynn Loop trail. I say 'some' because I wanted to stay on the portion of the trail that is adjacent to the river.

 

I started at the Headwaters area and walked up and across the bridge, where the river, swollen with the recent rains, plummets over the rocks in silky curtains.

 

Looking downstream from the same vantage point on the bridge, the picture is quintessential Pacific Northwest: the year-round greenery, the moss, the milky blue-green water, the water-smoothed boulders and the slight fog hanging in the air.

 

 

I'm always captivated with the flowing waters, and, as you may have noticed, Dear Reader, I just love showcasing it in long exposures to give it that "angel hair" look. Every once in a while, I try to shoot with a fast exposure, to try to freeze the moment, but this is somewhat problematic with the overcast light and low ISO settings (I try to always shoot at ISO 100).

 

 

 

 

Turning back, I walked back along the Varley Trail again as I wanted to revisit some of the places I'd seen before in order to capture some video. I'm working on a film short that will explore the North Shore, including the Quay and some of the places within a short drive from Lower Lonsdale.

 

 

 

Here and there, sprays of colourful leaves contrast themselves against the darker background of the forest, shining like beacons as the wayward sun breaks through the clouds to spotlight them.

 

 

Feet sore, legs tired, but with my soul enriched, I turned back to the car and home. What a magical place we live!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment