After living for a year in Ucluelet, on Vancouver Island's rugged outer shore, we decided to fulfill another dream and move to the downtown area of Vancouver. These are the adventures, in words and images, of a couple of retirees now based in Lower Lonsdale.

Check my main photography website, or follow me on my Facebook page.

Click on pictures to view at full size.

Thursday 20 November 2014

Lynn Valley Spendor


I finally got out to the Lynn Valley area today, to explore the canyon. My plan was to do the "Lynn Loop" trail, but apparently, I stopped too soon on the road and ended up on the Varley Trail.

A mere 45-steps down from the car, I was beside a river that simply bowled me over with its beauty!


I followed a well-traveled and worn path that parallels the river, along boardwalks and gravel as it snaked through the quiet forest. At points, the path is thoughtfully held down by the roots of the adjacent trees, lest it slither off in another direction.


Through the riverside foliage, the Seymour River rolls over its stony bed, it's blue-green waters creating a susurration of voices that fills the ears, and loosens the heart.


It is a cool, heavy overcast day, with infrequent, light rain, but this is the best way to see the Temperate Rainforest, with everything glistening with moisture, the colours of the green foliage and mosses so saturated.

Today, I am shooting long exposures on a tripod. The use of a variable neutral density filter (VND) allows me to use shutter speeds of about 8 to 15 seconds, which yields the delicious "Angel hair" water that flows across my sensor during that multi-second exposure.



Finally, I come to a good access down to the riverbank, and from here, I can see up and downstream for some much closer views.



I love the colours of the different rocks, especially when they are wet. Some are so pronounced that they naturally deserve a portrait by themselves, like this handsome red/orange specimen below.


At my feet, fallen leaves have been washed against the rocks by the passage of the previous higher water. Their warm tones juxtapose against the cool-toned rocks that hold them prisoner.


Further along, the colour of a dying fern catches my eye and I pose its lovely decaying form against the backdrop of the river.


As the path momentarily weaves away from the water and back under the canopy, I take the time to admire the lush carpet of tiny plants that cover the logs and forest floor.


Heading back to the car, I see an iconic moss-covered tree set against a curve in the river.


There are quite a few, marvelously place benches along the Varley Trail, and I took the opportunity to sit for my own portrait.



This is a visually stunning, deeply satisfying Pacific Northwest destination, and I can hardly wait to explore the area further!

No comments:

Post a Comment