After living for a year in Ucluelet, on Vancouver Island's rugged outer shore, we decided to fulfill another dream and move to the downtown area of Vancouver. These are the adventures, in words and images, of a couple of retirees now based in Lower Lonsdale.

Check my main photography website, or follow me on my Facebook page.

Click on pictures to view at full size.

Monday 29 December 2014

256 Shades of Gray: It's Just Black and White

I'm one of those old school photographers. Now 65, I grew up on black and white (hereafter referred to as B&W) photography, developing and printing in a home darkroom. And while I "discovered" slide film and went off on a psychedelic super-saturated Fujichrome 50 binge, I always had a deep love for B&W rooted deeply inside me.

Having shot colour for years (almost exclusively), I started to get back to B&W after I began using digital full time in 2000. The ability to shoot RAW images that would capture all the information (including colour) meant that I was also free to process after the fact as B&W.

As the hardware has evolved, so has the software, and having such tools as Nik's suite of tools, especially Color Efex Pro 4, and Silver Efex Pro 2, so now making really quality replications of what we could do with film and paper.

I recently had the pleasure of attending the Xmas party of Digiital Fluency, the company with whom I work on the Lower Lonsdale website. The theme of the party was the 1920's, and many of the participants came dressed appropriately.

I wandered among the young crowd, enjoying some wine and conversation, and as I went, I grabbed candid portraits of the group.

Just recently, I processed some as B&W images.

Hope you enjoy them.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment